March 26, 2020
Dear Sabbath School Superintendents:
Re: Sabbath School in the Age of Social Distancing
I trust that you are fine. I have been praying for your well-being. The impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic has generated new opportunities for us to conduct Sabbath School. Below are some suggestions that you may want to take advantage of:
1. Make available to all members of your church the Sabbath School online resources which were created for them. The links are:
2. Use networking services, such as: Zoom, YouTube, Group Facetime, Skype, and Facebook to conduct Sabbath School. These services can be used to create virtual Sabbath School meetings. During this time, the Sabbath School small groups can have fellowship moments, reach out to neighbours, and engage in the Bible Study Guide review. The Ontario Conference Church Growth and Evangelism Department has made available to every church and company, the sum of $200.00 for Pastors to purchase Zoom for teleconferencing I(please check with your pastor).
3. Ask the Sabbath School Holistic Small Group leaders to check with and minster to each small group member weekly.
4. Ask the Children’s Division Leaders to use social media to connect with parents and children weekly.
5. Do Sabbath School Council meetings via social media.
6. Organise special times of prayer for Sabbath School members.
7. Remember to reach out to those who are vulnerable: seniors, single parents, members who live in shelters, members who are recovering from illness, and those who live alone.
8. Share this link to the Adventist Review article, “12 Things Seventh-day Adventist Can Do During Quarantine”, with those who are quarantined. https://www.adventistreview.org/12- things-seventh-day-adventists-can-do-during-quarantine
In closing, I wish to remind you of the text found in Romans 8:38 – 39: “For I am persuaded, that neither death … nor any creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” How reassuring it is to know, that our loving God is still in control!
Yours in Christ,