Sabbath School in the Age of Social Distancing
Posted: March 26th, 2020
March 26, 2020
Dear Sabbath School Superintendents:
Re: Sabbath School in the Age of Social Distancing
I trust that you are fine. I have been praying for your well-being. The impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic has generated new opportunities for us to conduct Sabbath School. Below are some suggestions that you may want to take advantage of:
1. Make available to all members of your church the Sabbath School online resources which were created for them. The links are:
- Copies of the Bible Study Guide for every division can be accessed at: https://www.sabbathschoolpersonalministries.org/study
- Resources for new disciples can be accessed at: https://www.instepwithjesus.org/
- Resources for the Children’s Sabbath School including podcasts for the Kindergarten and Primary Divisions can be accessed at: https://www.gracelink.net/
- Kindergarten animation can found at: https://www.sabbathschoolpersonalministries.org/media
- Sabbath School podcast for the Adult Sabbath School Division can be accessed at: https://www.sabbathschoolpersonalministries.org/media and http://nadadultministries.org/mediacenter
- Sabbath School podcast for the Juniors Division can be found at: https://www.juniorpowerpoints.org/podcast
- Sabbath School podcast for the Youth and Young Adult can be found at: https://www.inversebible.org/podcasts
- Sabbath School Mission resources can be found at: https://www.adventistmission.org/resources
- The General Conference Sabbath School app can be accessed at: https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/general-conference-corporation-of-seventh-day-adventists/id625309169 and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ergonlabs.SabbathSchool&hl=en_CA
- Another Sabbath school app was developed by Brother Vitality Lim. Brother Lim is a member of the Scarborough Filipino Seventh-day Adventist Church. This app was approved by his Church Board. It can be found at: https://adventech.io/sabbath-school/
2. Use networking services, such as: Zoom, YouTube, Group Facetime, Skype, and Facebook to conduct Sabbath School. These services can be used to create virtual Sabbath School meetings. During this time, the Sabbath School small groups can have fellowship moments, reach out to neighbours, and engage in the Bible Study Guide review. The Ontario Conference Church Growth and Evangelism Department has made available to every church and company, the sum of $200.00 for Pastors to purchase Zoom for teleconferencing I(please check with your pastor).
3. Ask the Sabbath School Holistic Small Group leaders to check with and minster to each small group member weekly.
4. Ask the Children’s Division Leaders to use social media to connect with parents and children weekly.
5. Do Sabbath School Council meetings via social media.
6. Organise special times of prayer for Sabbath School members.
7. Remember to reach out to those who are vulnerable: seniors, single parents, members who live in shelters, members who are recovering from illness, and those who live alone.
8. Share this link to the Adventist Review article, “12 Things Seventh-day Adventist Can Do During Quarantine”, with those who are quarantined. https://www.adventistreview.org/12- things-seventh-day-adventists-can-do-during-quarantine
In closing, I wish to remind you of the text found in Romans 8:38 – 39: “For I am persuaded, that neither death … nor any creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” How reassuring it is to know, that our loving God is still in control!
Yours in Christ,